Thursday 29 January 2009

Fatherly advice for candidate Philip

When former councillor Joe Fitzpatrick was contacted by a resident in need he was determined to help them out – whatever the problem, whatever the time of day.

For more than 30 years he represented the people of Hyde Newton. And in 2007 he was made an Honorary Alderman of the Borough, in recognition of his commitment to the area.

His son, Labour candidate Philip Fitzpatrick, says that his own strong sense of community spirit and determination to make a difference stems from his father.

And he says that if elected as councillor in the Hyde Newton by-election he will be determined to follow his example.

“He was a good councillor because he cared about people,” said Philip, who is pictured with Joe (centre) and brother Cllr Jim Fitzpatrick (left).

“He wanted to help people and do everything he could for them. If someone rang him up with a problem he would just deal with it – no matter what it was.

“I would like to think that I would act as he would have done; that I would go out and sort problems out.

“And I think I want to do that because I was brought up in a family committed to helping the community.”

Jim, who represents the Hyde Godley ward, said: “I still ask my dad for advice; he has a wealth of experience and knowledge. It was his sense of being able to make a difference that encouraged me to be a councillor.”

No comments:

Post a Comment